Serving Massachusetts and New Hampshire Including the Merrimack Valley

Call us: 978-374-4736

How do you file a complaint with OSHA?

Most everyone employed in Haverhill no doubt goes to their jobs everyday confident that their employers have done all that they can to make sure that their workplaces are safe. The common assumption when workplace accidents do occur may be that such incidents were due to random events outside of an employer’s control. Yet in some cases, investigations following those accidents reveal that negligence on the part of the employer could have contributed to the outcome.

If you or one of your coworkers is injured at work due to hazards that are preventable, you may feel obligated to ensure that no one else suffers the same fate again. Yet what should you do if your observations and concerns are ignored by your employer? The next step may be to file a complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

According to OSHA’s website, the Occupational Safety and Health Act gives you or any authorized employee representative the right to notify officials of a potential OSHA violation. You can share and submit your concerns online, by phone, or by sending an official complaint by fax or mail. While OSHA takes all complaints seriously, you are asked to include specific information to help investigators get an idea of what hazards potentially exist. Such information can include:

  • How many people are potentially at risk
  • What sort of equipment, materials, and/or chemicals are used in your workplace
  • How long has the problem existed
  • Have employees been notified that there is a problem at all

You’re allowed the right to request that your complaint be filed anonymously. You’re also protected under the law if you feel as though your employer retaliates against you for having filed the complaint.


55 Ginty Boulevard Haverhill, MA 01830
Phone 978-374-4736, Fax 978-521-5307

E-mail Us | Haverhill Law Office Map | Sitemap